Thread: Question/Suggestion

Question/Suggestion

Hi,

I don't want to be too assuming of your game and what your vision for it is. As it stands, it looks like a fantastic game which I look forward to playing, and which I am pleased to have had the opportunity to have backed :-).

With that said, I find that roguelike games sometimes fail to capitalise on the potential being a roguelike affords them. To give a concrete example, Dungeons of Dredmor is a mediocre to good game whilst Spelunky and NetHack are great games. The major difference, I find, is that you do not feel you will encounter every object/room/possibility in a playthrough of Spelunky or NetHack, but it feels inevitable in Dredmor. The result is to give games of Dredmor a largely samey feel - the combat becomes monotonous etc. Spelunky's items give the game such incredibly different feels upon each playthrough - e.g. getting the jetpack/cape/spring shoes make a very different feeling character. There is also the feasibility of getting to the black market or the city of gold on any one play through.

Essentially, what it boils down to is that I wonder if Sir will capitalise on being a very replayable game by having unique content which may/may not appear on any one playthrough. I also wonder if it will have a large discovery aspect e.g. the process of getting to the City of Gold in Spelunky.

Anyway, I hope the post doesn't come across as either openly ignorant, too assuming or condescending >.<! It's really good to see people using procedural content not merely as a gimmick but actually to improve gameplay (e.g. permadeath in a survival game). Best of luck with the project and I'm sure it'll go fantastically ^_^!

Big Robot Developer
    Thanks for your comments and support.

This is a really important topic. We're keen to avoid exactly that kind of 'samey-ness" and deliver procedural adventures that have real variety.
    Ultimately it boils down to the balancing of 'essential things' and 'non-essential things' (where "things" can be items, environmental stuff, and even entities).

Some things are essential, and therefore to some extent uniqueness is limited by the mechanics of what is required to 'complete' one playthrough, but there is of course room for the non-essential outside that restriction.

Broadly, the non-essential things can be considered 'additional' and as such only get focus if the time and money is there to give them that focus. The core game has to be solid as a rock before we can really explore the non-essential, even though, to some extent, we already are
    Last edited by James Carey; 11-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks for the response! It's great to know you have the same aims/considerations in mind - particularly seeing as KickTraq's prediction suggests you will be able to fulfill them !