Thread: A few questions and suggestions

A few questions and suggestions

Hi, having only recently found out what this games all about, i'm very interested (I'd seen it talked about before on RPS but wasn't really sure what it was). I really like the idea behind the game and found myself slightly reminded of STALKER when watching the trailer, the combat between NPCs and the way ragdolls went down really reminded me of the old builds and something about the environment did aswell (probably the long windy roads and general gloominess).

Anyway, I have a few questions about the game:

I saw birds in the trailer, will there be any other, non Robotic wildlife in the game?

seeing as there will be a stealth system, will there be any focus on a melee combat system?

Will there be any kind of destructability in regard to robotic enemies, which i'm talking about from both an aesthetic and gameplay point of view. For example, the ability to blow limbs off robots would not only look cool but could make the combat more interesting i.e. damaged Robots continuing to pursue the player/slowing down groups that are chasing you.

Administrator
    > I saw birds in the trailer, will there be any other, non Robotic wildlife in the game?

Almost certainly, we just haven't decided what just yet. Probably rabbits and pheasants. I'd like a stoat, too.

> seeing as there will be a stealth system, will there be any focus on a melee combat system?

Yes, we are implementing an axe at the moment.

> Will there be any kind of destructability in regard to robotic enemies, which i'm talking about from both an aesthetic and gameplay point of view.
    > For example, the ability to blow limbs off robots would not only look cool but could make the combat more interesting i.e. damaged Robots continuing to pursue the player/slowing down groups that are chasing you.

Possibly, yes. We are at least talking about you being able to shoot off their hats and moustaches before death

Ha, it'd be awesome if the first time you hit an enemy in the head area their head/hat would spin accompanied by a suitably comic sound and their moustache flying away.

As for wildlife I think the occasional deer would be cool, and will the melee system have any depth to it (blocking etc) or just be standard?

Also, saw this rifle and thought it looked suitably 'Tweed' Punk:

FHR.jpg

A Faquhar Hill rifle, even the name sounds suited to this game.

Administrator
    We've not really looked at melee in much detail yet. I think it's partly going to dependent on how we handle animation of the weapon. We've not implemented weapons beyond guns and throwable objects (a dynamite) so melee is something we need to experiment with.

I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else, but I haven't found this information at either the forums or at Kickstarter.

What are the system reqs looking like? I'm already a backer through Kickstarter, so I guess I should've asked this sooner

I do see where you felt it might be a bit of a system hog, but just how porcine are we talking here? Or is it just too early to tell?
    Last edited by strelnikov; 11-12-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Would it be possible to get some sort of a sticky / magnetic time bomb? What I'm thinking is a grenade which you would wind up and throw at a robot. Which, if executed properly; will not be noticed, will detonate some time later, and can be used to take out groups of unsuspecting robots/hounds/huntsmen. It woud be even better if each turn of the key added more time.

Quote Originally Posted by rossignol View Post
    > I saw birds in the trailer, will there be any other, non Robotic wildlife in the game?

Almost certainly, we just haven't decided what just yet. Probably rabbits and pheasants. I'd like a stoat, too.

[/COLOR]
    Badgers, surely? Now I think about it, It could be a deal breaker. If we get to the Riders stretch goal, how about a fox decoy? Or a Robo-fox ally for the player.

Have bought this on Steam and it definitely has potential. What I would like to see added:

More in depth searching mechanic: Basically, think State of Decay where you have to search boxes etc with the option to speed up the process but with the risk of making a lot of noise. Basically, go up to a house door, hold E and search progress bar comes up with option to speed up with added risks, and the option of finding nothing.

Make some of the bigger buildings like Churches actually enterable: would be cool to have a group of Robots guarding a piece in a rundown old church that you can attack from multiple angles

Musket: Powerful but slow to reload and not as accurate as the current "sniper" rifle, but made up for with a melee attachment (bayonet). Always good to have a bit more variation in weaponry and a Musket would suit Sir down to the ground.

Destructable Robots: limbs should be able to be shot off Robots with obvious effects (A hit in the legs would slow A robot down and would then make it crawl, arm hits would impair accuracy etc)

Squire's: They should attack Hunter Robots if accidentally shot by them, and maybe make their reasoning for not attacking you in the "lore" more clear (The only reason I knew they wouldn't attack unless I stole something from a house is because i've followed the game in the past)

Dogs: having them pin you every time they catch up with you is kind of annoying, they should act like the dogs in Stalker i.e. make runs at you that take away health if they hit, the "pin" animation should only happen if you're low on vitality/health/in a weakened state.

Vitality: Shouldn't instantly start draining health if it reaches zero, should start with on screen effects lasting for about 2-5 minutes and then the health drain.

Items to help escape: On the numerous times i've been seen and had to run away from pursuing Robots, i've often thought it'd be cool if there was some vision obscuring item like a smoke bomb (along with evil magician Robots) that could be thrown down to impair their accuracy as currently they hit me quite a lot when fleeing.

NPC's (possibly organic) that have no side and are hostile to everything: Would definitely make fights with AI more interesting.

Molotov cocktails: Plenty of rags, plenty of flammable liquids, empty glass bottles and matches, so why not? (I doubt Unity could handle it, but if you could add in some small fire propagation mechanic as-well, this game would be that one step closer to sheer awesomeness). It'd add an extra challenge if the Robots in the spotting balloons could throw grenades/molotov's at the player.

More penalties for going in water: Penalties to Vitality etc, far slower movement in water (Might be a bit extreme, but you could make it so the player has a vitality penalty until they go to a fire and light it after being fully submergerged in water).

Perishable melee weapons: Branches etc that could be picked up and used to "stun" Robots e.g. you hit them, they fall to the floor briefly and the perishable melee weapon is broken. Would be fun as a last ditch option if you have no ammo and no proper melee weapon to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    ... as currently they hit me quite a lot when fleeing.
    Here's a tactic I learned from an old favorite film: "Serpentine! Serpentine!"

Items to help escape: On the numerous times i've been seen and had to run away from pursuing Robots, i've often thought it'd be cool if there was some vision obscuring item like a smoke bomb (along with evil magician Robots) that could be thrown down to impair their accuracy as currently they hit me quite a lot when fleeing.
    it'd be cool if there was some vision obscuring item like a smoke bomb (along with evil magician Robots) that could be thrown
    evil magician Robots
    I'm pretty sure that's this year's TF2 Halloween Update.