Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UI

UI

Fisrtly, I'm glad that this promising game made its way to kickstarter. Congratulation, guys, you are making awesme job.

Secondly... Well, are you really sure about UI as it looks like in the newest trailer? You know, in your depresive, almost monochromatic world, it feels strange to have HUD form Oblivion. That green doesn't realy fit into color palette...

I don't want to be some irritating critic, but, please, consider it. Careful coloring can make quite a difference.

I see you probably took some "tweedy" textrue, but still, I don't think it fits.

(P.S. I'm quite sad about compass on HUD, as it takes away whole problem of orientation - and that's one of most important parts of surviving. But, of course, it's your decision)

(P.P.S. Why are you not on IndieDB? It's nice way for fans to subscribe news channels of more interesting indie projects on one site. I would appriciate that.)
    Last edited by Selhan; 11-02-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Administrator
    We've gone through a couple of different designs for the UI, and that's the one we're most happy with. It could still be subject to change, of course. We want to have a hand-drawn style, which we think that achieves.

Regarding the compass, I think we need to look at that (and whether the compass is an item you pick up) but early paytests have indicated that people need some took to help get their bearings in a completely open world, and a compass is the best way to achieve that.

And you are right about IndieDB, I'll create a page on there this weekend.

I think a compass is definitely needed, but I'm not sold on the Bethesda style strip at the top. I'd rather it be a proper old-timey pocket compass like this one.

When you 'use' it your dude would hold it in front of him so you can read it (which would also make it difficult to read at night). I also like the idea of having to stand still to read it properly, so you can't use it when you're being chased.

Admittedly that would require a non-trivial amount of extra work to implement.... one for the stretch goals, maybe .

Yeah, that's what I suggested some time ago. Plus, compass could realisticaly react to movement and be totally confused while running - that would mean that player sprinting for safety could get lost.

Big Robot Developer
    Theoretically we could have a handheld compass that jangles about as you run. A couple of methods for achieving this spring to mind. Time and money again though, time and money!

Compass as an Inventory Item

Just to add my two cents, I thought the Miasmata solution was fantastic (no need for HUD)

Problem with the compass as an object in-game is that you really need a hand to hold it, no?

Good point - you would have to put away whatever you were currently holding while you checked your bearings. I like that extra bit of hassle

It would mean, though, that the 3 numbered way-points would need to be re-worked.

Actually, my point was that you would have to have a model for the player's hand in the game.

Anyway, this was an old thread that you exhumed, and I don't think that at this stage in the game's development they will be considering this. The HUD compass works fine. (Although I did prefer the 360 degree version from the past update.)

You could do the compass like in ARMA II, that never had a hand holding it, it just sat at the bottom of the screen. Although, for a game that had "realism" out the ass, it couldn't have you hold the damn compass...
    I do YouTube (including SYABH)! www.youtube.com/darkkai3gaming