Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best rain in a game?

I think the sound of the wind when its raining is important.

Audio is probably more important for "English rain".

It's not uncommon to look out of the window and not be certain if it's raining or not unless you can see whether there are drops falling into puddles. That whole "rain streaking" effect just doesn't work for drizzle...

Which is probably why I was thinking of Morrowind. The rain effect is a bit naff, but the audio was great. Though I was playing with a mod. One of these, can't remember which:
    http://gmml.pbworks.com/w/page/5990336/Sound

With Autumn coming up, I'm sure there'll be lots of opportunites to capture some decent audio to work from...

For drizzle you tend to get a really slow dripping of water from places that it gathers, like the end or a leaf or window ledge. I think that sort of 'drip...... drip....' sound would go well with the atmosphere of the game.

Thanks for starting that topic.

What could add more to Sir's weather, is that each biome type has something typically different. Possibly relating each biome to what is essentially a different region in the UK. Rain in Cornwall, where I'm from, has a tendency to be horizontal, especially on the coasts like Lands End and The Lizard, whereas rain in the Lake District is generally more vertical. I think changes like that would make each biome feel even more different to the other, again emphasising the variety and inherent randomness of British weather.

Man, it was one hell of a weather change leaving Cornwall and coming to the East Midlands!

I suggest adding to the atmosphere by playing this game with a wet dog under your chair for that 'authentic wet wool' smell and your 'significant other' spraying a fine mist in your face with an atomiser...

Quote Originally Posted by marknali View Post
    and your 'significant other' spraying a fine mist in your face with an atomiser...
    ...But I need both hands to play Sir