Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPECIFIC FEEDBACK - Landowner v0.9.5264 "Patriotic Crockery"

Big Robot Developer

SPECIFIC FEEDBACK - Landowner v0.9.5264 "Patriotic Crockery"

New update means new NPC! Tell us what you think about him.

We are especially looking forward to your SCREENSHOTS of the places he gets stuck. POST THEM WITH YOUR FEEDBACK BELOW.

THAT SOUND!

Was pleasantly surprised that the new update didn't break my saved game - started at the boat just arrived at west island. Had a little scuffle with 4 hunters and a puppy and while looting the last corpse I heard it... really close. I've been playing games a very long time and the first one that ever really creeped me out was DOOM - the sound of the roaming monsters was just eerie as hell. Not very many since then have done that - the sound of this thing does. It is so unsettling.
    LO first sight.jpg

Oh yay - he brought his dogs with him... I might change my mind but my initial thinking is add one more for kicks

I love how big it is - you see it coming over the horizon and you just know you're gonna have a bad day
    LO horizon.jpg LO so dam creepy.jpg

I didn't get a good screenshot of this but it seemed to get stuck against the wall of this house (maybe he was just inspecting the roof) as soon as I got its attention by shooting one of the doggies it had no problem coming after me.
    LO stuck.jpg

I've only had two attacks from it so far but each time there was so much other stuff (3 hunters and the remaining mutt the first time and several hunters and a rider the 2nd) that I couldn't get a real idea of just how hard it will be to deal with but it's quite dreadful. And the noises it makes, just before dying on the 2nd run-in I heard it making this screeching sound that's just... I don't know.

Absolutely love it - will test it more later
    Last edited by ItsAll19; 02-20-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    ~Ah know he's aroun' here som'eres on a-count Ah sees his footy prints...

I'd have to make a new world for experience in the actual game, but in my near-completed save I did see two or three (not at the same time).

On one I threw 2 sticks of dynamites and emptied 12 revolver rounds, nothing happened.

Anyway, good npc. Doesn't have a sixth sense for spotting you and isn't very fast but once he sees you HE JUST KEEPS COMING.

Got hit by one, insta-killed me.

Dogs for this guy are good, as they increase his range.

So yeah, good endgame enemy. I expected him to be larger though.

Question: How many health does he have?

The eyes. THE EYES.

*Curls into fetal position and starts rocking*

I didn't realise he was coming towards me until it was too late.

Edit: Images too big and can't be bothered to resize them right now, I will when I recover o_o
    Last edited by Lorox; 02-20-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Landowner stuck - will add new ones to this

Any instances of him getting stuck I'll add to this to keep things tidy...

He got stuck at this fence for a few seconds (about 20) then sorted it out and moved to the end - I stayed in the same spot until he started for me again...
    LO stuck fence.jpg

right after that I hopped a stone fence at a church and he turned and headed straight for the gap like a boss

This is from earlier - just added it here to keep 'em together
    seemed to get stuck against the wall of this house
    LO stuck.jpg

some more hang-ups...

stuck at a rock eventually got going again
    stuck at rock.jpg

stuck at another house
    when I first spotted him he was just standing there not moving at all then started walking in place
    from a different angle it seems like the rock fence around the house may have something to do with it but not sure
    stuck at house 1 of 2.jpgstuck at house 2 of 2.jpg

just chillin' - rest of this encounter is here http://www.big-robot.com/forum/showt...tuck-encounter
    Attachment 616
    Last edited by ItsAll19; 03-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    ~Ah know he's aroun' here som'eres on a-count Ah sees his footy prints...

Why doesn't he just step over small objects, like fences and hedgerows?

(Obviously, if the navmesh system would throw a fit if one of the AIs could move over certain things and the others couldn't, this is understandable.)

Big Robot Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Why doesn't he just step over small objects, like fences and hedgerows?

(Obviously, if the navmesh system would throw a fit if one of the AIs could move over certain things and the others couldn't, this is understandable.)
    Bingo!

You wouldn't believe the problems allowing the Riders to do this (fly over walls) caused, and it just wasnt feasible for the Landowner for reasons to dull/complex to go into.

I imagine walking is one big impediment compared to the Rider. But geez that'd be good if he could. The implacable giant thing you cannot escape. It laughs at your wall hopping tactics.

Anyway, he's cool so far. Very atmospheric. Although he was actually the second NPC the game dished out on my first build. Before Hunters had dogs even.
    Randomness and all that, I know, but that was a bit unfortunate. My instinct is he's better almost solo at the start or right at the end.

I'll fiddle around with the release schedule one of these days and try to nut out what I think is the "ideal" mixture.

Oh by the way, can you change the impact particle effects on hitting the landowner? The yellowish impact explosion when shooting him kind of implies he takes damage. No impact particle effect or a different one would make it clearer that there's a difference between hitting other robots and the landowner.

So I got a good look at him this morning. And, well, uhh....

He needs a hat. A flatter hat with a broad brim, so that his face looks like it's got a shadow cast over it instead of (spoiler'd for CANNOT UNSEE): He looks like he's wearing a gimp mask. The matte black color when the rest of him is shiny brass, the line that looks like a little seam... The noises he makes aren't helping! D^X So he really needs a hat, m'kay?